Oceans are vital, not only to a wide array of biodiversity and ecosystems, but also to the food chains, livelihoods and climate regulation for a human population heading towards nine billion people. That is why this short course is essential because it introduces the concept of the blue economy and explore how countries can benefit from it thus the livelihoods and wellbeing of people living on coastal areas and islands.
1. Explain The Blue Economy concept.
2. Recognise the importance to sustainably manage the marine resources.
3. Identify ways in which entrepreneurs can create innovative business opportunities.
4. Describe the economic benefits of the Blue Economy.
5. Describe the relationship between the Blue Economy and sustainable development.
1. Background to the Blue Economy
2. The Marine Environment
3. Fisheries and Aquaculture
5. Ocean-based renewable sources of energy
6. Transportation and the Blue Economy