- Commonwealth of Learning (COL)
- University of Mauritius
The aim of this course is to equip you with the knowledge and techniques to computer forensics practices and evidence analysis. It prepares you to use various forensic investigation approaches and tools necessary to start a computer forensics investigation. It also aims at increasing the knowledge and understanding in cyber security and ethical hacking.
Having studied this course, you are expected to be able to:
- 1. Define computer forensics. 2. Identify the process in taking digital evidence. 3. Describe how to conduct an investigation using methods of memory, operating system, network and email forensics. 4. Assess the different forensics tools. 5. Differentiate among different types of security attacks. 6. Describe the concept of ethical hacking.
There are five units in this course: Unit 1 - Introduction (Week 1, 2 & 3) Topics to be covered:
- -Introduction to Computer Forensics -Computer Hardware -Understanding File System
Unit 2 - Forensics Categories (Week 4, 5, 6 & 7) Topics to be covered:
- -Memory Forensics -Operating system forensics -Email Forensics -Network Forensics
Unit 3 - Forensics Tools (Week 8) Topics to be covered:
- -Computer Forensics tools
Unit 4 - Forensics Investigation Process (Week 9, 10, 11 & 12) Topics to be covered:
- -Investigation at the scene of crime -Digital Evidence Collection -Case Work
Unit 5 - Ethical Hacking (Week 13) Topics to be covered:
- -Introduction to Ethical Hacking -Virus, Trojan and Malware Threats -Network Security Attacks