- National Open University of Nigeria
The 6 weeks course is designed to provide participants and learners with the necessary information and knowledge on Media and Information Literacy to enable them to develop a critical thinking capacity and actively engage with different segments of the society. This MOOC is made up of six modules or Weekly Learning activity to provide an overview and better understanding of the concept of Media and Information Literacy.
The objectives of the course are to enable participants to:
- understand the definition, characteristics and various approaches to MIL
- analyse different mass media such as books, internet, magazines, newspapers among others
- know the role of media literacy in citizen engagement with government and society
- provide practical tools for managing media content in an ethical and professional manner.
The six modules or Weekly Activity is structured thus:
Week 1 Activity: Knowing your Class and your Course
- Preparatory and Introductory activity outlining the structure, expectations, interactivity, assignments and the manual.
Week 2 Activity: Know and understand the concept of Media and Information Literacy and How to access, analyse and create media content
- Freedom of information and expression
- Use of information providers such as library, archives and internet
- Teaching and learning media literacy
Week 3 Activity: Basics of Journalism and Ethical Dimensions of News Media Dissemination
- What is News? And its values
- Relationship between Journalism and Society
- News Reporting and the power of Image
- Public service announcements and public information
Week 4 Activity: Appropriate Language Use in Media and Information
- Reading, Listening and understanding media information
- Analysing the medium and the message
- Examining sponsored and unsponsored media messages and their goals
Week 5 Activity: Traditional and New Media
- Nature and characteristics of traditional and new media
- Navigating the transition from traditional to new media
- Understanding the internet, its challenges, and opportunities
- Citizen Journalism and the global village
Week 6 Activity: Uses and Abuses of Digital Media
- Understanding digital information literacy
- Knowing learning environment and information literacy
- Digital media content: Uses and Abuses
- Ethical and legal considerations of digital manipulation of media content.
The course should be of benefit to social media users, ODL learners, teachers and other citizens who seek to acquire basic skills on the use of ICT tools in developing and managing media content, communication, and the effective use of media channels to acquire and disseminate information.